Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Relay for Life

I have had 4 days of radiation and all is going well. They have marked my left chest with target looking markings in permanent ink. I go in every day except Sat. and Sun. I just go in and put on a lovely hospital gown and they take me to a big x-ray room. I lay on the table and be real still! This big x-ray machine zaps me from the top then it travels down below me and zaps me from my back then it comes around to my side and zaps me again. All this takes about 5 - 8 minutes and then I'm through. I don't feel any different yet - although I am so tired already. I guess the going into Ft. Worth every day is going to tire me out. I saw the dr. today and he showed me some pictures of the areas that the radiation is hitting. Pretty interesting.

I am definitely having a team at the Relay for Life here in Azle on April 24th. The name of my team is just like my blogspot - Joyce's Journey. So far I have about 28 team members! We are going to have such a fun night. We are working on fund raiser ideas right now. If you are interested in making a donation to the American Cancer Society under my team name - just go to www.relayforlife.org/azletx and go to Joyce's Journey. The theme of the whole relay in Azle this year is the silver screen so I picked Mamma Mia for the theme for my team. Now we just have to come up with decorations and stuff to go with that.
I still say that I could not have made it through all the mental and physical troubles I have gone through if it hadn't been for my wonderful support team. Ronnie has been the greatest caregiver anyone could ask for! My children have been with me every moment providing me with anything I ask for. My friends have called all the time to check on me and been the greatest chauffeurs! I don't know how people handle all this without support! Most of all, though, is the power of all the prayers that have been said on my behalf. I know that the prayers are what gave me the inner strength to keep thinking positive when I felt so bad. I remember around Thanksgiving time telling the girls that I wished I could just close my eyes and wake up and it was after Christmas already. Those were the worst days of my chemo treatments. But here I am - way past Christmas and I'm still here and positive that all will be well. God is good - He heard my pleas and the prayers of others and got me to this point, of this I'm sure!
My cousin Calva started her radiation treatments on Monday. Keep praying that she will sail through these also. My other cousin , Janice, will have surgery tomorrow(Thursday) and have the spot on her kidney biopsied and frozen. I pray that it is nothing more than a cyst. I'll keep you posted.
Love you all!
Joyce

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joyce I am so glad the treatments are fast and painless.
You hang in there you have done so well. You should be very proud of yourself and all the people you have helped by your example. You will never know how many lives you have shown Christ to by how you have relied on God and God's family to get you through.
Love Jane

Michelle said...

I can't wait for the Relay for Life! It will be so fun!!