Sunday, April 5, 2009

Reflections

I have had some time in the last 2 weeks to reflect back on the last year. I know each one of us goes through something in our life that is very life changing. If you haven't experienced that yet - enjoy where you are now! But most of us have gone through something, especially if you are in your 40's or 50's.
Exactly a year ago, I had a wreck. When it happened, I didn't think it was anything life-changing. Some careless driver just pulled out in front of me and totalled my 14 year old truck! Oh well, I wasn't really ready to buy a different vehicle and I really liked that old green truck. I really didn't find out until the end of April that the simple wreck would lead to 12 months of major surprises and total changes in how I viewed life. And I know that God was with me the whole way!
First was finding out that I had to have neck fusion surgery. That sounded really scary! But it really wasn't that scary and the biggest nuisance about it was having to wear that horrid neck brace for 9 hot weeks! In fact, I've almost forgotten that I even had neck surgery and the scar is very hard to see. Thanks Dr. Bechtel for doing such a good job!
But the life-saving part of the whole wreck thing is the fact that I think about every day. Remember, if they hadn't done the pre-op chest x-ray, I still may not have known today that I had a mass growing in my left lung! That's how it is with most lung cancer patients - they don't know until it's big and spread to other areas! Thank you, God, for saving my life and making me aware that you are with me.
Next was going through another even more major surgery - the removal of the lower lobe of my left lung and having a doctor come in to tell me the dreaded words. Cancer that had spread to a lymph node. This would require chemotherapy for the next 4 months of my life and then another 6 weeks of radiation! Are you ever ready to hear something like that?
I remember being calm and maybe thinking that surely he wasn't talking about me! 6 months seemed like an eternity away. I couldn't even imagine myself in 6 months. I do remember about halfway through the 16 weeks telling my girls that I just wanted to close my eyes and blink and it would be after Christmas and the chemo would be over! It seemed so long away! But look! It is the first week of April and I'm still here and that too did pass!
What have I learned in the last year?
Life is precious and not guaranteed!
What seems like an eternity away is really not and time does go by.
Most important - that God does carry us in the palm of His hands and does get us through anything even if at the time we are going through it we can't feel Him or see Him.
That the prayers sent up to God on our behalf are heard and are very powerful. I never doubted for a minute that many people were praying for me. It seemed that somehow I felt them all! I only hope that I return the prayer favor for those in need of it. I believe the words of Babbie Mason's song"Standing in the Gap". When I didn't have the strength to pray for myself - there were many that were standing in that prayer gap and praying for me!
My prayer now is that I am able to see why God got me to this point. I pray that I give Him all the glory for my blessings. I pray that I use my life for Him and listen hard for the whispers that He gives me everyday.
Love to you all! and thanks for all you did for me and my family.
Joyce

No comments: