Wednesday, September 17, 2008

To Wig or Not to Wig

Well, the time is getting closer for me to start my treatments and I have mixed emotions. I feel like I finally have my strength almost back so I'm ready physically but am I ready emotionally? I want to get it started so I can get it over with! I pray every day for God to give me the comfort that only comes from Him. I do still feel every one of your prayers and feel so cared about. I told someone the other day that I feel very selfish because I act like the world is revolving around me. If I have acted like that toward any of you, please forgive me - I know that there are so many people out there that have it so much worse than me.
Starla and I were able to go to the American Cancer Society on Monday and look at the wigs and scarves that they have to offer. Did you know that they are free there? Well, unfortunatly, there was nothing there wig-wise that even remotely looked like me. There were some cool black, long, straight ones that looked real cool on but were definitely not me! There were also some there that looked like some old ladies that I have seen! Anyhow, my girls don't really like the idea of me wearing a wig and my hair may not be falling out. We went to a wig shop over by the mall and found one that looked pretty good and matched my pre-brown hair. It had a scalp that looked real, too, but it costs $250.00! That's a little much especially if I am not sure if I will need it. I did find a real cool brown sparkly cap that I got at the A.C.S. I have something to start with!
I went for my 6 week after surgery check-up today and he said that I still had a little fluid in my lungs but not anything to worry about. If I feel up to it in 4 weeks I will have another chest x-ray done and go see him again. Otherwise, he said everything was going good for me. I still have a nagging cough, maybe a combination of allergy and lung fluid! Everyone around me is sick and tired of my cough! Me especially!
Keep letting me hear from you! I love it!
'

4 comments:

Randi Ann said...

Joyce you are such a trooper! You have been through so much these last months, yet you still are going strong. I think you will look beautiful either way...wig, cute sparkly hat, or no wig! Stay strong and positive. I look forward to your updates. (Don't you love this whole "blog idea"?) Don't forget to check out Little Miss Kennedi on my blog. We are praying for you! Love Ya! RandiAnn

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm........I remember one cute Azle Hornet mascot that sometimes wore a short blonde bob wig and it always looked great! Don't you wish you had it back. I think of you everyday and all the crazy stuff we shared as kids. I know things have been tough but I always try to remember that we will never be dealt anything too hard for us to overcome. Love ya, Shirley

Michelle said...

Well Joyce, you are in no way anyone that ever acts like the world revolves around them. You are like Mary Poppins - "practically perfect in every way". We all love you so much and you don't need to worry about anything. And if the world is revolving around you right now, then it is absolutely rightfully so. You are so loved and cared about by so many and are in everyones prayers and thoughts constantly. You just stay focused and have no worries. We are all here for you!

Anonymous said...

Dear Joyce, You will do fine because God is in control and he only see the inside of our heart.
Your hair will be ok. It is not that bad after the shock wears off. I do know of what I speak since I have been there. Really looking back on it I think it was more of a "control issue" Since nothing else seemed to be in my control. I had to remind myself that God wants to be in control not me. God will use the thinning of your hair or loss to help someone else and give them courage and strenghth they so baddly need. God uses the most unusal things in our life to minister to others and he will use this experience for his God and Yours. Jeremiah 29:11 God has a plan.
Love Jane