Monday, September 1, 2008

Words from Sherry

The following is a letter I received from my sister-in-law Sherry. She is awesome! I can't say anything better today than what she has said to me. I have already told you that I am listening for God's whispers. This letter is what I received this morning:

Whispers of God”

I started “Whispers of God” when I wrote to Joyce, my sister-in-Christ, who had been diagnosed with cancer. She had an operation and was waiting to recover from surgery only to start 16 weeks of chemotherapy.
I wrote to Joyce to give her testimony of God’s whispers to me when I was diagnosed with leukemia and ultimately had a bone marrow transplant that God used to heal. Today, there is no sign of leukemia.
I told her of the many times that I would feel afraid or insecure and how God would show up to gently whisper comfort and His presence in my life as only He could. These whispers were not something I was looking for but, a gift, a gift from God to let me know He was there and knew me intimately. He heard my cries and answered my prayers.
After writing and sending the letter to Joyce, I was up early one morning, reading my Bible. I was reading Psalm 107:23 – 32. This scripture read “He stilled the storm to a whisper”. My heart was in awe as I knew the Lord gave that scripture to me and I believed it was for Joyce. I researched a little further that day for scriptures that had the word “whisper” in it. He gave me the scripture I Kings 19:9. “And after the fire came a gentle whisper. When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave.” Life application would say “Elijah knew that the sound of gentle whisper was God's voice. He realized that God doesn't reveal himself only in powerful, miraculous ways. To look for God only in something big may be to miss him because he is often found gently whispering in the quietness of a humbled heart.” I sent that to Joyce as well.
The day after I sent these scriptures to Joyce, my mother said that the Sunday sermon’s title was “The Day God Whispered”.
Today, after I prayed for forgiveness of sin and rebellion in my life. I was wondering how I could ever feel cleansed from all my sin and shame. I was reading Psalm 51. The Lord whispered. “Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow”. In Exodus, it tells of how “The Israelites were instructed to dip a branch of hyssop in lamb’s blood and sprinkle it on their door posts so that the angel of death would pass over their families (Exodus 12:22). My heart was in awe of his whisper. Just as he instructed the Israelites to sprinkle lamb’s blood over their door posts to save them, his whisper was saying to me… Jesus blood covers my sins. Thanks be to God for my Lord and Savior, the Holy Lamb of God, whose blood covers all my sins. Thank you God for your whispers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awesome! It is so amazing how we are all so connected spiritually! Thanks for sharing that word from sherry.
Love you
Kerri

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you have such a positive attitude and that you are not only surrounded by God but so many loving and faithful friends and your precious family. I enjoyed our visit today. I know with Ronnie around he will keep you laughing. Remember that you are in my thoughts and prayers every day.
Love you, Janice