Tuesday, September 23, 2008

1 DOWN - 15 TO GO!

Well, I made it through my first chemo treatment! I was nervous going in. The nurse even asked me if I was nervous - it must have shown. I told her that I had been calm and confident up until Sunday and then it hit me that I was about to get foreign chemicals going through my whole body! She said that was a very common reaction. Anyway, it took from 9:45 till 3:30 because I had to have blood work, see the Dr., see the financial counselor, then wait for my turn to go back to the infusion area. The actual infusion took about 3 hours. The first 2 weeks I will get 2 drugs - Cisplatin and Navelbine. Then the next 2 weeks I will only get the Navelbine.
Starla stayed with me and brought her laptop so we watched a movie! Ah, modern technology! Amy even surprised us and came up to see if I was doing okay. Seeing some of the patients in there really made me see that I don't have it bad at all! I do remember when Wendell first went to M.D.Anderson. He called me and said as he was walking those long halls to his different tests- he looked at all those patients and said "look at all those poor people" then caught himself and said - I am those people! That was kinda my reaction yesterday!
I made it through the infusion very well. In fact, after I got home I went ahead and took the nausea medication that they gave me yesterday even if I didn't feel nauseous. Well, I'm glad I did! About 2:00 a.m. I woke up and sat up straight in my bed with a feeling of something coming up! It didn't though, and I took another pill and spent the rest of the night sitting up in the recliner. Today has been better, but I am taking my pill every 6 hours! Hopefully it's a 24 hr. nausea!
I am going tomorrow for a brain M.R.I. No, nothing is wrong, we are just doing it for a baseline in case something is going on later. I had read in a lot of the information that I have been given that for my type and stage of cancer that this test should be done.
I have to tell you one more exciting thing that happened to me last week. I went to Richland Hills Church of Christ on Wednesday evening to their special service on letting God work in your life for healing purposes. Amy,Brad,Starla,Aaron,Brandon,Michelle,Donna and I went. While the praise team led songs,( and yes, Wendy was there singing for me!) there were probably 20 elders and their wives stationed around the perimeter of the building waiting for people to pray with. My group went with me to one of the elders and he said the sweetest prayer for me and for my family. I felt so covered after I left there. Ready to face what was before me. God is so good.
I still haven't made the wig selection - if it is supposed to happen it will come easily, right?
I still feel all of your prayers said on my behalf - it is strong and powerful. Keep it up!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joyce I am so happy you made it with flying colors. It was so specail to have that service on Wednesday. It all helps and we have our special angel there by our side. God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit what else could a girl want.
Those kids really come in handy don"t they.
Your are in my thoughts and prayers.
Love JAne

Donna said...

Hey lady - I think of you daily. You are such an inspiration to us all. Keep up the good spirit! Don't worry about the wig thing - you will be such a Diva!! Love ya, Donna

Anonymous said...

Joyce What a truper to go camping.
I am so glad that you feel up to it.
Well Two down, I am so proud of you.
You are in my thoughts and prayers. I know it is all going to be a blessing to you and your family and friends. God moves in such a mysterious way.
Love Jane